Hash Brown Muffins
Chef Bill Jump
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Customers get potatoes, eggs, cheese and vegetables all combined into one handy muffin-shaped breakfast. Wrap up with foil to keep the “muffins” warm in transit.
1/4 cup chopped chives
2 oz. plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 oz. butter
2 oz. diced onions
2 oz. diced red and yellow bell peppers
3 large baking potatoes, shredded
4 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, yogurt, chives, salt and pepper until foamy.
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and peppers; saute 2 minutes. Add shredded potatoes; saute until potatoes are golden brown. Remove skillet from heat and cool slightly.
- Using flexible silicon muffin molds, spoon about 1 1/2 ounces potato mixture into each section, manipulating the mixture so it coats the bottom and sides of each mold to form a cup.
- Combine cheeses; place about 1/2 ounce into each “cup;” top with more potato mixture. Stir egg mixture and carefully pour into each mold without overfilling.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Keep warm by wrapping muffins in tin foil.
Photo courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission