Grilled Pineapple and Banana Salsa
This seasonal salsa is a great side dish or appetizer for spring and summer. Plus, it helps cool down spicy dishes and pairs well with jerk menu options.
1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-in. slices
Canola or olive oil to coat pineapple
Curry powder, salt, smoked paprika to season pineapple
2 ripe bananas
1/2 red bell pepper
1/4 cup packed down cilantro leaves
1 small piece fresh ginger root (about the size of cherry tomato), skin removed
5 cloves fresh, peeled garlic
1 habanero pepper
Juice of 4 limes
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
Salt to taste
- Place pineapple slices in non-reactive bowl. Put just enough oil on pineapple to coat. Sprinkle lightly with curry powder, smoked paprika and salt. Place slices on hot gas or charcoal grill and cook on both sides, until slightly softened and well browned. Place in cooler.
- Peel one banana and small dice, place in mixing bowl.
- Small dice red pepper, and add to banana.
- Julienne or roughly chop cilantro leaves and add to banana.
- Peel banana and place in blender. Add ginger, garlic, habanero, lime juice, vinegar and soy. Blend on high, until completely smooth. Add to banana mixture.
- Small dice cooled pineapple and add to all other ingredients. Mix well, check seasoning and serve with chips, grilled fish or chicken.