6 questions to ask references
When speaking to references, be sure to ask open-ended questions that call for in-depth answers. You can learn more from the subtext of the conversation, so listen for pauses, hesitation and tone to detect anything from enthusiasm to bitterness.
- Please verify the candidate’s dates of employment, title and role.
- Is the candidate eligible for rehire? What was the reason for leaving?
- While working with your company, did the candidate receive any advancements or promotions? If no, why not?
- What was the candidate’s beginning and ending salary? Was the candidate always eligible for salary increases when available?
- What duties were assigned to the candidate? Were they completed satisfactorily? Did the candidate go above and beyond without being asked?
- What were the candidate’s strengths? What unique skills did the person bring to your organization?