Noncommercial sector to grow moderately in 2016, NRA says

Published in FSD Update

sales graphic

Sales at self-operated noncommercial foodservice facilities will grow this year by a collective 2.6 percent, or just slightly above the rate of price inflation, according to a forecast released yesterday by the National Restaurant Association.

Noncommercial operations managed by contractors will fare better, with a projected sales increase of 3.8 percent, or 1.1 percent in deflated or “real” terms, the association says.

The numbers do not indicate much of a shift in market share between contractors and self-ops, as privately managed facilities are called. The NRA projects that contractors will snag about 46.1 percent of all noncommercial sales, with the remaining 53.9 percent collected by self-ops. The market shares for 2014 were 45.8 and 54.2 percent, respectively.

The $3.35 billion increase in total noncommercial sales, to a new record level of $107.16 billion, will not be distributed evenly across the market’s segments, according to the NRA.

It predicts that employee feeding, or what’s known as the business-and-industry or B&I segment, will enjoy the steepest sales growth, with a projected increase of 3.8 percent in nominal terms or .9 percent when deflated. However, that sector will remain the smallest in the noncommercial channel, with forecast total sales of $12.30 billion.

Healthcare feeding will grow by 2.5 percent, to $33.23 billion, the association predicts. It categories nursing homes and continuing care facilities as belonging within the sector.

The NRA measures school foodservice and college and university feeding as one classification: education foodservice. It foresees that market growing at 3.2 percent, to $38.66 billion.

But it does differentiate between contract-managed and self-operated facilities within the so-called K-12 and C&U sectors.

C&U foodservices managed by third parties should enjoy a sales pop this year of 4.1 percent, or 1.4 percent in real terms. That compares with a projected increase of 3.2 percent for self-ops.

In school foodservice, self-ops are expected to collect 1.7 percent more in sales, compared with a 2.3 percent rise for contract-managed services.

 

More From FoodService Director

Managing Your Business
uber driver

The freelance, independent-contractor labor market known as the gig economy is distinguished by working short-term contracts, or gigs, such as driving for Uber, Lyft or Instacart.

The majority of the U.S. workforce will be freelancers by 2027, according to a study called “Freelancing in America: 2017,” conducted by Edelman Intelligence. The annual study, commissioned in partnership by the Freelancers Union and Upwork Global, estimates that 36% of the U.S. workforce consists of freelancers who contribute approximately $1.4 trillion annually—an increase of almost 30% over the...

Industry News & Opinion

Sturgeon Bay Schools in Sturgeon Bay, Wis., has partnered with a local farm to construct a school greenhouse , Green Bay Press Gazette reports.

Construction will begin soon, and the district says that the project is already 75% funded. Once the building is finished, students will be able to grow their own food at the greenhouse and then learn how to preserve it through canning and other methods.

“The greenhouse will provide students with the opportunity to grow food, sample food they have cultivated, design planting plans, tend seedlings, integrate real-life technology in...

Sponsored Content
eating mac and cheese

From AFP advanced food products llc

Some iconic food pairings have stood the test of time―peanut butter and jelly, spaghetti and meatballs, macaroni and cheese, just to name a few.

But, classic doesn’t mean boring or on the way out. In fact, there’s been a resurgence of mac and cheese on menus. According to 2018 data from Technomic’s MenuMonitor, mac and cheese menu mentions have grown by the following percentages over the past four years:

On the kids menu: 10.4% As an entree: 7.5% As a side/extra: 8.2%

In addition to increasing menu instances, noncommercial...

Sponsored Content
seafood salad

From High Liner Foods.

Seafood—whether it’s in the form of fish and chips or tuna salad—is a menu staple for many foodservice locations. But seafood doesn’t have to be limited to just the center of the plate—it shines on other parts of the menu as well, from soups and salads to sides and snacks.

Here are four ways that seafood and fish are moving outside of the main course.

Soups

Starting the meal with soup is common for many diners, and in noncommercial settings, there’s usually an array of soups available each day. According to Technomic’s 2017 Center of the...

FSD Resources

Code for Asynchronous jQuery Munchkin Tracking Code