June 4—Menu options at Canton-Potsdam (N.Y.) Hospital are changing for the healthier as its Nutrition Services Department offers more heart-healthy menu options and partnerships with local food co-ops and markets.
“Heart Healthy,” according to Director of Nutrition Services Stave Gadapee, involves many factors, including:
• food that is purchased and prepared in a healthier manner to reduce calories, fats, bad cholesterol and sodium
• promoting good eating habits and a well-balanced diet
• baking many foods instead of frying
• serving fewer commercially prepared breaded foods to reduce sodium, saturated fats and carbohydrates
• having fewer red meats and more fish options on the menu
• offering more whole grains and brown rice and less processed grains.