This recipe from the Spring Independent School District in Texas cuts out added salt by using a housemade seasoning mix to add punch to the beef. Whole-wheat macaroni and reduced-fat cheese were substituted for plain macaroni and regular cheese.
3 gals. water
¼ cup soybean oil, salad or cooking
2 lbs. + 10 oz. whole-wheat macaroni, dry
6 lbs. + 6 oz. beef crumbles, cooked
14 oz. onions, chopped
2 qts. water
¼ #10 can tomato paste, condensed
½ #10 can salsa
½ tbsp. pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 ½ tbsp. cumin, ground
½ tbsp. paprika
½ tbsp. onion powder
14 oz. reduced-fat American cheese, shredded
1. Combine oil, water and pasta in 4-in. pan.
2. Place in steamer for 10 to 12 mins., or until pasta is still firm. Drain macaroni well and place aside.
3. Place thawed beef crumbles in pan. Add tomato paste, salsa, diced onions and seasonings. Stir well.
4. Place in steamer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 mins., or until reaches 165°F, stirring frequently.
Add macaroni to beef mixture and place in full-size steam table.Divide total weight of cheese evenly among each pan of macaroni.
5. Cover and place in oven/steamer until cheese is melted.