Indiana University Dietetic Technician Susan Herr says dining services has improved the nutritional content of food offerings on campus by putting a healthy twist on popular but traditionally less healthy menu choices. She says such efforts were behind changes to the original Buffalo Chicken Wrap recipe. Those changes included adding multi-grain wraps and more fresh vegetables. “A lot of students like the fast food unhealthy stuff like pizza and fried chicken,” Herr says. “So what we do is try to make those things—like the Buffalo Chicken Wrap—healthy by creating it from a different recipe to make it lower in calories, higher in fiber and to have more healthy fat.”
1 lb. grilled chicken breast
2 oz. Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce
4 multi-grain wraps
3 oz. chopped romaine lettuce
6 oz. chopped Roma tomatoes
4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Cut grilled chicken into ½-inch strips.
3. Combine chicken and sauce in bowl.
4. Distribute ¾ ounce of chopped lettuce evenly on wrap.
5. Distribute 1 ½ ounce tomatoes evenly over lettuce.
6. Distribute 3 ½ ounces of chicken over tomatoes.
7. Distribute 1 ounce of blue cheese over chicken.
8. Fold wrap and serve.