Crisp flatbread is topped with wonderfully flavored eggplant and mushrooms. This fragrant bread is an enticing treat.
2 1⁄2 cups scallions, thinly sliced
1 tsp. kosher salt
Peanut oil, as needed
12 dried black mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, julienned
1 lb. Asian eggplants, cut into 2-in. pieces
1⁄2 cup mushroom soy sauce
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. gingerroot, minced
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 pieces lavash flatbread, cut into thirds
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1. Toss scallions with salt and let sit for 30 min. In a small skillet, heat 1⁄2 cup oil and stir in scallions so they sizzle but do not brown. Place scallions and oil in bowl and allow to cool.
2. In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp. oil and sauté mushrooms and peppers until soft. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat 4 cups oil and fry eggplant until golden; remove and drain on paper towels. Combine soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar.
4. Heat 2 tbsp. oil, add ginger and garlic and stir. Add 1 cup soy sauce mixture until sauce reduces slightly, 3-5 min. Turn off heat, add eggplant, and set aside.
5. Brush lavash liberally with oil and grill until crispy. Spread scallion mixture on bread, sprinkle with red pepper, mushrooms, and eggplant. Finish with sesame seeds and bake on pizza stone for 1 1⁄2 min.