Vegetarians can join in on the fun with these sliders made with black beans, sweet red peppers, onion, celery, garlic and California raisins.
1 16-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
1⁄2 small sweet red pepper, diced small (about 1⁄3 cup)
1⁄2 small onion, diced small (about 1⁄3 cup)
1 celery stalk, diced small (about 1⁄3 cup)
3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1⁄3 cup California raisins, chopped fine
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1⁄2 tsp. chipotle powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1⁄2 cup cooked, cooled quinoa (optional)
12 small whole-wheat rolls
1. If grilling, preheat outdoor grill to high heat and lightly oil sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375°F and lightly oil baking sheet.
2. In medium bowl, mash black beans with fork or potato masher until thick and pasty. In small bowl, mix diced pepper, onion, celery, garlic and raisins. Stir raisin mixture into beans.
3. In another small bowl, stir together egg, salt, chili powder, chipotle powder and cumin. Stir egg mixture into mashed beans. Mix in breadcrumbs and quinoa, if using, until mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into small patties.
4. To cook on grill, arrange patties in single layer on foil. Grill 8 minutes on each side. If baking in oven, place patties on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes on each side.
5. Place cooked patties on roll and serve with avocado, lettuce, tomato and cilantro.
Recipe by California Raisin Marketing Board