Wonton Fish Tacos with Wasabi Sauce
These Asian-inspired tacos feature salmon, wasabi powder, horseradish, sour cream and mayonnaise.
White of 1 egg
2 tbsp. water
18 wonton wrappers
3 tbsp. sesame seeds
Special equipment needed: 6 pieces of wood that are 14 in. long, 21⁄2 in. wide and 3⁄4 in. thick, wrapped in foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
6 4-oz. salmon fillets, cut in thirds
21⁄2 tbsp. sour cream
21⁄2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1⁄8 tsp. seasoned salt
3⁄4 tsp. wasabi powder
1 tsp. horseradish
3 lemons, sliced in half, for garnish
6 sprigs rosemary for garnish
3 edible orchids for garnish
1. Whisk together egg white and water. Lay out wonton wrappers on clean, dry surface. Brush each wrapper with egg white mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Stand wood pieces on baking sheet. Drape 3 wonton wrappers over each one. Bake in 325°F convection oven for 7 minutes.
3. Bake salmon pieces in oven until they reach internal temperature of 165°F.
4. To make wasabi sauce, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, seasoned salt, wasabi powder and horseradish.
5. To serve, divide Asian Root Vegetable Slaw (recipe follows) onto six plates. Lay three baked wontons on each bed of slaw and place one piece of salmon into each wonton. Garnish with wasabi sauce, lemon, rosemary and orchid.
Recipe by Swan Creek Retirement Village, Columbus, Ohio