Wild Rice-Fried Walleye
A wild rice flour breading makes these walleye fillets crisp and crunchy. Served with a honey mustard tartar sauce, they make a delicious meal.
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. white pepper
1⁄2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup shallots, minced
1⁄2 cup scallions, minced
1⁄2 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
1 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
1⁄2 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
1⁄2 tbsp. tarragon, finely chopped
1⁄8 cup whole black peppercorns
1 1⁄2 cups coarse breadcrumbs
1 cup wild rice flour
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup Dijon-style mustard
1 1⁄2 cups flour
12 6-oz. skinless walleye fillets
1. In a large bowl, combine honey, mustard, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and mayonnaise well. Whisk in remaining ingredients and chill.
2. Grind peppercorns and combine with breadcrumbs and wild rice flour. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
3. Brush one side of each fillet with mustard, dredge in plain flour, and dip in egg wash. Remove from egg wash and place in wild rice flour mixture.
4. Coat well with the mixture, pressing it evenly onto both sides of the fillet. Refrigerate at least 30 min. before deep frying.
5. In a deep fryer, cook fillets at 365° F. for 4-5 min. depending on thickness of fillet. Serve with tartar sauce.