Wild Mushroom and Potato Strudel
This savory strudel is filled with hash browns, wild mushrooms, pepper jack cheese and some Sriracha for a kick.
1 sheet puff pastry dough
2 cups sliced wild mushrooms
11⁄2 cups sliced onion
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 qt. shredded, precooked hash browns
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
11⁄2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
11⁄2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
Egg wash of 1 whole egg whipped with 2 tbsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove puff pastry sheet from freezer and thaw.
2. Sauté mushrooms and onions in vegetable oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to lined sheet tray to cool.
3. Season hash browns with salt and pepper to taste. In preheated large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, lightly brown hash browns, about 9 minutes. Do not overcook, as potatoes will receive second bake in finished strudel.
4. On lightly floured work surface, roll out puff pastry to 16-by-18-in. or slightly smaller than sheet tray.
5. Line center of puff pastry with hash browns, leaving at least 6 in. on both sides. Top hash browns with Sriracha, mushrooms, onions and grated cheeses.
6. Cut 1-in. strips on both sides of hash brown filling. Starting at top, overlap dough strips alternating from left to right to cover filling with braid pattern.
. Egg wash top of dough and bake at 400°F in oven until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Slice on angle and serve warm.
Recipe by Sullivan University, Louisville, Ky.