West Indies Minced Turkey
Blazing with the bold flavors of the West Indies, this turkey dish will delight the tastebuds. It is presented in a crisp tortilla shell and topped with fried plaintains.
3 onions, diced, divided
2 1⁄4 cups soy sauce
3⁄4 cups olive oil
1 1⁄2 cups scallions, chopped
6 tbsp. allspice
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves pulled
1 Scotch bonnet chile pepper, seeded, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
6 lb. turkey breast
2 tbsp. olive oil
12 cups turkey stock
3⁄4 lb. dried red kidney beans, cooked
3⁄4 cups tomato paste
1⁄2 cup corn starch
1⁄2 cup water
3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
15 fried tortilla shells
1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
1⁄2 cup tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1⁄2 cup scallions, chopped
30 fried plantain strips
1. In a food processor, puree half the onions, soy sauce, olive oil, scallions, 3 tbsp. allspice, thyme, chile pepper and garlic. In a hotel pan, cover turkey with marinade and refrigerate at least 8 hr.
2. Remove turkey from marinade; reserve 3 tbsp. of marinade. In a pan, roast turkey at 350° F for 20 min., or until done. Cool and cut into 1⁄2-in. cubes. Reserve.
3. In a stockpot over high heat, sauté remaining onion in olive oil until translucent. Add tomato paste and cook 5 min. Add stock, beans, turkey, reserved marinade and remaining allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 min., stirring frequently.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together corn starch and water; add to stockpot, stirring well. Add tomatoes and cook another 5 min. Season to taste.
5. Fill tortilla shells with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with chopped onion, tomato and scallions. Garnish with fried plaintain strips.