Wasabi Steak Taco
Developed for BabyBerk, the UMass food truck, this wasabi taco combines the flavors of East and West with a wasabi aïoli, sweet chili sauce, cilantro and onion.
1 oz. prepped taco flap steak from bottom sirloin
1⁄2 oz. wasabi aïoli
1⁄2 oz. tomato, diced
1⁄2 oz. onion, diced
1⁄2 oz. sweet chili sauce
Pinch cilantro, chopped
1. Place tortilla on designated “bread” area of flat top grill. Using tongs place prepped taco steak meat on designated “meat” area of flat top grill.
2. Flip both items at least once during cooking. Immediately after flipping tortilla, using squeeze bottle put stripe of wasabi aïoli across center of tortilla from end to end.
3. Place hot steak across tortilla, from end to end, set into aïoli. [Note: This item is now collectively referred to as taco.]
4. Place piece of 10-in. deli paper on cutting board, and using a spatula, move assembled taco from flat top to deli paper. Top with tomato and onion. Using squeeze bottle add sweet chili sauce on top of diced veggies.
5. Finish by sprinkling pinch of chopped cilantro over veggies. Fold piece of paper and taco in half (keeping paper on outside).
6. Place finished taco on 10-in. piece deli paper in small clamshell container.
Recipe by University of Massachusetts, Amherst