Venison with Dried Cherry Sauce
The dark flavor of venison tenderloin is well-complemented by this sweet/tart cherry and currant sauce.
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. coriander seeds
2 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 lb. venison tenderloin
1⁄2 cup dry red wine
1⁄2 cup dried tart cherries
1 cup beef or veal stock
3 tbsp. currant jelly
For garnish: Blanched and sautéed baby zucchini, green beans, carrot strips, and halved fingerling potatoes; cherry tomatoes
1. Crush thyme, coriander, garlic, salt, and pepper with a mortar and pestle. Add 2 tsp. oil; rub on venison.
2. Heat a heavy sauté pan until hot; add remaining 1 tsp. oil. Brown venison on both sides.
3. Transfer pan to 450°F oven. Roast venison to rare, about 10 min. Keep warm on platter.
4. Add wine and cherries to pan; deglaze over med.-high heat. Add stock; boil until reduced. Whisk in jelly, salt, and pepper; simmer until thickened.
5. Per serving: Slice venison into medallions and nap with sauce. Garnish with vegetables.