Veloute of Salsify with Cheese Frite
This dish starts with a rich velouté of salsify with leeks, heavy cream and fresh herbs. Then, wedges of mixed Pleasant Ridge reserve and Camembert cheese are breaded and fried, cut and displayed in the bowl.
6 sprigs each thyme, parsley, and marjoram
8 small leeks, rinsed and diced
2 oz. butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. salsify, peeled and diced
19 oz. chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
6 oz. Pleasant Ridge reserve cheese, shredded
8 oz. Camembert, rindless
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 qt. canola oil
1. Tie together 3 sprigs herbs. Pick off leaves from 3 remaining sprigs; reserve.
2. In saucepot, sweat leeks in butter. Season with salt and pepper; cook 3 min. Add salsify; sweat 2 min. Add herb bouquet and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 min., until salsify is tender.
3. Remove one-third salsify mixture for garnish. Discard herb bouquet; puree remaining soup base. Add cream; return to pot to heat through; reserve.
4. Mix cheeses and spread into a 1⁄2-in. thick rectangle on oiled plastic wrap. Cut out 8 triangles. Freeze 20-30 min.
5. Place flour in a shallow bowl, eggs in a second, and crumbs in a third. Dip triangles in flour, then egg, then crumbs; dip again in egg and crumbs.
6. Heat oil to 350°F. Fry cheese in batches until brown. Heat soup, warm vegetable garnish, and divide both into bowls. Garnish with herbs; cut cheese triangles in half and display two in each bowl.