The plantain balls are vegan and can be used with dipping sauce as an appetizer.
2 green plantains
1/2 gal. boiling water
1/4 tsp. dry oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. freshly chopped garlic
1 tsp. freshly chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
1 cup mashed potatoes, very dense
Oil to fry (optional)
1 cup tomato sauce (ready made)
4 tbsp. sour cream
2 tbsp. whole milk
1 tbsp. chiffonade fresh basil
Yield: 1 1/4 cups sauce
- In boiling water, immerse plantains for about 3 minutes.
- Remove and peel quickly.
- Break up and mash with potato masher, very quickly. If plantains get cold, they will harden.
- Season with spices.
- Add mashed potatoes (substitute with mashed beans – any kind).
- Add fresh herbs.
- Mix and form 2-ounce balls. Coat lightly with oil (this prevents from breaking and drying).
- Bake in 350°F oven for 8 minutes or deep-fry until golden.
- Simmer gently in sauce for 2 minutes and serve hot.
- Add dairy ingredients to hot sauce and stir. Keep warm for service.
Balls can be shaped as patty and used as slider or vegan burger. If you temper some spices and add to sauce, it can get an ethnic spin and flavor profile.