Served crisp and golden brown these croquettes have terrific texture, full-bodied flavor and will make vegetarians happy. They are substantial enough to please meat-eaters too.
2 cups milk, half and half, or soy milk
1 small onion, finely diced
2 shallots, minced
3 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
4-6 dried wild mushrooms, reconstituted, chopped
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. chives, chopped
Salt and pepper, as needed
1⁄2 cup wild rice, rinsed
1⁄2 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed
2 1⁄2 cups water
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup onion, minced
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup carrots, finely grated
1⁄2 cup parsnip, finely grated
1⁄2 cup celery, minced
1⁄2 cup roasted pecans, finely chopped
2 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
1⁄4 tsp. thyme
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a saucepan over low heat, warm milk and set aside.
2. In a separate pan, sauté onions and shallots in butter for 1 min. Add mushrooms and sauté 3 min.
3. Stir in flour and cook 2-3 min. Whisk in warm milk until creamy. Add chives, salt, and pepper. Keep sauce warm until ready to use.
4. In a saucepan, boil rice, water, and salt for 5 min. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for about 45 min. until rice absorbs all the water.
5. Sauté onions in oil for 2 min. Add carrots, parsnips, and celery, and sauté 5 min.
6. In a bowl, combine sautéed vegetables, pecans, egg, tamari, seasonings, and rice. Shape into 3-in. patties.
7. Fry croquette patties in hot oil until they turn crispy and golden brown. Drain, serve with cream sauce.