Saint Barnabas Health Care System listened to its large population of vegetarian employees and created a vegetarian chili that doesn’t contain any soy product. This vegetarian recipe was created by Chef Tom Jackson and has become a hit for staff and patients. Featuring a wide variety of vegetables and two types of beans, this chili is a hit during the cold weather.
1 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped garlic
2 lb. chopped broccoli
2 lb. chopped onion
2 lb. diced carrots
1 lb. diced celery
2 lb. diced green bell pepper
1 lb. diced potatoes
2 lb. diced mushrooms
2 lb. canned garbanzo beans
1 lb. lentils dry
1 lb. navy beans dry
7 oz. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
#10 can marinara sauce
4 oz. low-sodium vegetable base
1 tbsp. dried oregano
½ cup cumin
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- Heat large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add oil and garlic, sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, onion, carrot and celery. Cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Cook chili for 2 hours over low heat. Stir frequently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by Saint Barnabas Health Care System, Livingston, N.J.