Veal shanks are braised with Mediterranean flavors. Slow cooking ensures tender meat. This tantalizing dish is served over saffron rice.
8-9 lb. cross-cut veal shanks, 11/2-in. thick
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup olive oil
4 1/3 cups veal stock
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 1/3 tsp. dried thyme leaves
3/4 tsp. black peppercorns
6 bay leaves
1 1/2 lb. plum tomatoes, seeded, diced
3 cups chopped onions
1 lb. red bell peppers, chopped
3 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
6 tbsp. olive oil
6 cups veal stock
3 cups dry white wine
1 tbsp. saffron
1 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
6 bay leaves
3/4 cup butter
1. Sprinkle veal shanks with salt and pepper, rub or brush with oil. Brown in 425°F oven 35 min. Remove from oven.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Add stock, wine, and seasonings to shanks. Cover and bake 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 hr., or until veal is very tender. Keep shanks warm; reserve braising liquid for other use.
3. Sauté tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and garlic in oil 5 min. Stir in stock, wine, saffron, salt, white pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 45 min.
4. Reduce heat to very low. Gradually whisk in butter just until melted and blended. Do not boil. Remove and discard bay leaves. Keep warm
5. Plate 1 shank piece with 1 cup saffron rice. Ladle 6 oz. sauce over veal and rice.