Dark, flavorful turkey leg meat sauteéd with vegetables, pinto beans and Southwestern spices, then cooked into a thick chili. Baked with cornmeal mixture covering in a single-serving skillet.
3 lb. turkey thighs, cubed
3 tbsp. oil
2 onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipotle peppers, soaked and chopped
1 tbsp. ground cumin
Ground red chili powder
2 cups tomato puree
3 cups cooked pinto beans
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 1⁄2 cups stock
2 eggs, beaten
1. Sauté turkey in oil until brown; remove. Sauté onions, pepper, and garlic in same pot.
2. Return turkey and add chipotle, cumin, and chili powder to taste; sauté 2 min. Stir in tomato puree, pinto beans and season.
3. Cover; simmer 30 min. Stir in beans; cook 10 min.
4. In saucepan, mix cornmeal, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in stock; cook over med. heat, stirring until thick. Remove; beat in eggs.
5. Per serving, spoon chili into a small cast-iron skillet; spread cornmeal mixture on top. Bake in 350°F oven 30 min. until topping is golden.