Golden brown and fragrant, these savory corn and ham pancakes are a comforting delight. Salsa or guacamole add a nice finishing touch.
25 large eggs
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
4 oz. cream-style corn
12 oz. yellow cornmeal
10 oz. flour
1 oz. baking powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. salt
1 qt. plus 1⁄4 cup whole kernel corn
1 qt. plus 1⁄2 cup lean cooked ham, diced
8 oz. shredded carrots
4 oz. chopped green onion
1. In mixer, blend eggs, oil, and cream-style corn.
2. In separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, onion powder, and salt. Thoroughly blend into egg mixture.
3. For filling, blend in whole kernel corn, ham, carrots, and green onion. Refrigerate batter if not used immediately.
4. Preheat lightly oiled griddle over medium heat. Ladle 1 oz. batter and cook until bubbles appear at edges, about 2 min. Turn and cook 2-3 min. more, until golden brown. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. To serve, top 4 pancakes with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or cheese sauce.