Tofu with Szechuan Green Beans
Meatless Mondays have become a hit during the past few years. This dish is simple and quick to whip up for a weekly special.
30 lb. fresh cut French green beans
3 qt. Szechuan sauce
9 lb. extra-firm tofu
3 lb. cornstarch
Orange for garnish
- Remove tofu from package, drain well.
- Place tofu on rack within 2-inch hotel pan, cover tofu with plastic wrap.
- Place another 2-inch hotel pan on top of tofu, place a 10-pound can in pan as weight to press water out of tofu; press for 20 minutes.
- Remove pressed tofu from pan, cut into ½ -inch cubes.
- Toss tofu with cornstarch in bowl. Remove tofu, leaving excess cornstarch in bowl.
- Fry tofu at 350°F for 3 minutes, until tofu is light brown. Drain well and place in large bowl.
- Removed cleaned, trimmed whole green beans from packaging and rinse thoroughly.
- Lay green beans on towel on sheet pan and pat dry with another towel.
- Place ⅓ of green beans in fryer basket.
- Fry at 350°F for 3 minutes, until green beans are lightly blistered. Drain well, place in large bowl with tofu. Continue step five until all green beans are fried.
- Pour sauce over green beans. Lightly toss coating of all green beans.
- Place in 2-inch hotel pan to serve. Garnish with thin slices of orange.