Three-Onion Pot Pie
Chicken, carrots, celery, mushrooms, red bell pepper and three varieties of onion are baked in a chicken broth, with wheat beer in the cream sauce for an added flavor kick.
1⁄2 cup salted butter or margarine
2 cups each white onions, red onions, and yellow onions, all diced
2 cups peeled, sliced carrots
3 cups quartered mushrooms
2 cups sliced celery
1 1⁄2 cups diced red bell pepper
4 cups diced boneless chicken meat
3⁄4 cup white all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup microbrew wheat beer
1 1⁄2 cups cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp. chicken base
2 tbsp. minced fresh thyme
1⁄4 cup minced Italian parsley
1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup sliced green onions
4 1⁄2 cups pie crust dough, prepared
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first set of ingredients, except flour, in large, heavy saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook for 10 min., stirring often. Add flour and stir well.
2. Add sauce ingredients and stir well. Bring to a simmer, constantly stirring. Let cook for 10 min. longer.
3. Place 10 fl. oz. of filling in each of 12 individual baking dishes. Set aside to cool.
4. Divide dough into 12 (3-oz.) pieces. Roll dough 1⁄8-in. thick to fit baking dishes. Place rolled dough over cooked filling and crimp edges to seal. Cut three small slits
in top to let steam escape while baking.
5. Bake in 375° F oven for 45 min. until crust is browned.
Note: Prevent burning by loosely covering with foil.