Thai Pork Kebabs with California Strawberry Marinade
Fresh strawberries dress up this Thai-influenced dish, which also features peanuts, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper and a quinoa salad.
1 cup hulled, quartered California strawberries
1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into 1⁄4-by-1⁄4-in. pieces
16 bamboo skewers
1⁄4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 lime, cut into wedges
California Strawberry Quinoa Salad
11⁄2 tbsp. olive oil
1⁄3 cup hulled, quartered California strawberries
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry quinoa, cooked according to package directions, cooled
1⁄4 cup minced sweet yellow onion
1 cup finely shredded Napa cabbage
1⁄2 cup finely diced cucumber
1 cup diced California strawberries
To make kebabs:
1. Place strawberries, orange juice, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne pepper in work bowl of food processor and purée until smooth. Pour into medium mixing bowl. Add pork, stirring to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Immerse skewers in water for 20 to 30 minutes. (This will keep skewers from burning).
3. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
4. Thread pork onto skewers and grill for 3 minutes. Turn and grill for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
To make California Strawberry Quinoa Salad:
1. Place all dressing ingredients in work bowl of food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
2. Place quinoa in large bowl. Add onion, cabbage, cucumber, strawberries and dressing, tossing gently to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
3. Serve kebabs over California Strawberry Quinoa Salad, garnished with peanuts and lime wedge for squeezing.
Recipe by California Strawberry Commission