Thai Green Papaya Salad with Grilled Strawberries
This fruit salad features an Asian touch with Chinese long beans and Thai fish sauce adding to the strawberries and green papaya.
1⁄2 clove garlic
1 tsp. chopped shallot
8 cherry tomatoes
1 cup Chinese long beans, cut into 1⁄4-in. pieces
3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp. palm sugar or light brown sugar
2 cups shredded green papaya
1⁄2 cup fresh California strawberries, stemmed, cut into wedges
1 tbsp. crushed roasted cashews
1 tbsp. chopped dried shrimp (optional)
Red chili flakes
6 large fresh California strawberries, hulled, cut in half
1 tsp. finely slivered Thai basil leaves
1 tsp. finely slivered mint leaves
1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
1. In large mortar and pestle, or in bowl using a metal meat mallet, mash garlic and shallot to paste. Add tomatoes and long beans; pound a few times to release juices.
2. Add lime juice, fish sauce and sugar; stir gently to dissolve sugar. Add papaya; pound lightly.
3. Mix in strawberry wedges, cashews, shrimp and chili flakes; season with salt.
4. Place strawberry halves on hot grill, cut side down, 30 to 40 seconds, or until grill marks form.
5. Garnish with grilled strawberries, basil, mint and shredded carrot.
Recipe by California Strawberry Commission