Thai Coconut Shrimp Fried Rice
This dish features shrimp battered in panko crumbs and red bell peppers, lemon grass, garlic, Thai fish sauce and coconut milk.
3 large eggs, whites only, lightly beaten
3 tbsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
3 lb. peeled, deveined shrimp
2 cups panko crumbs
2 cups unsweetened coconut, finely chopped
Vegetable oil as needed
3⁄4 cup minced ginger
1⁄4 cup minced garlic
11⁄2 cups finely diced red bell pepper
3⁄4 cup minced fresh lemon grass
21⁄4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
3⁄4 cup Thai fish sauce
Red pepper flakes as needed
11⁄8 gal. cooked long-grain or medium-grain rice
Salt as needed
21⁄4 cups chopped scallions
3⁄4 cup chopped toasted peanuts
3⁄4 cup minced cilantro (optional)
Lime wedges as needed
1. In bowl, combine egg whites, ginger and pepper sauce. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate ½ hour.
2. Remove shrimp from egg-ginger mixture and drain slightly. Toss shrimp in mixture of panko crumbs and coconut. Place in even layer on lined sheet pan and refrigerate until ready to stir-fry.
3. For each serving: Heat 1/3 tbsp. oil in wok or skillet and gently stir-fry coated shrimp until golden brown and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from wok, drain and keep warm.
4. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons ginger and 1 teaspoon garlic and stir-fry 15 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons red bell pepper and 1 tablespoon minced lemon grass and stir-fry just to heat through, about 10 seconds.
5. Add 3 tablespoons coconut milk, 1 tablespoon fish sauce and pinch of pepper flakes and cook until bubbly. Mix in 1½ cups cooked rice, toss to mix well and stir-fry until hot and sizzling. Adjust seasonings as desired.
6. Stir in 3 tablespoons scallions. Place all on hot plate. Top with sprinkling of 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts and 1 tablespoon cilantro, if desired. Place shrimp on top of rice and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Recipe by USA Rice