Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Pizza
The flavors of BBQ have infiltrated menu items not normally associated with the cooking style. Pizza topped with barbequed chicken is a customer favorite in several casual chains. Chef McLester adds a good helping of Tabasco sweet and spicy pepper sauce to the topping ingredients for extra zing.
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki basting sauce
3 tbsp. sweet & spicy pepper sauce
2 tbsp. orange juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. honey
8 oz. chicken breast, sliced into strips
2 tbsp. peanut oil
12 oz. prepared pizza dough
2 tbsp. cornmeal
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup broccoli, small florets, blanched in salted water
1/4 cup red bell pepper strips
1/4 cup purple cabbage, cut into thin ribbons
2 tbsp. chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In saucepot over med. heat, sauté garlic and ginger lightly. Stir in BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, pepper sauce and orange juice; set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice and honey for marinade; pour over chicken breast and marinate 20 min.
- In sauté pan, heat peanut oil. Add chicken; sauté over high heat until almost cooked through. Remove from heat.
- On flat work surface, flatten pizza dough into a 14-in. circle, leaving a 1/2-in. raised rim around the edge.
- Place dough circle on a wooden pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal. Spread an even layer of reserved sauce mixture on dough, then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Distribute chicken, broccoli, red peppers and cabbage on top of cheese.
- Bake 12 to 15 min. until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and top with scallions. Cut into wedges to serve.