Indian classic chicken tandoori gets the school lunch makeover in this dish, which features red hot chili, lemon juice, ginger, tumeric and some sprigs of mint for garnish.
8 pieces chicken
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 pint low-fat plain yogurt
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. garam masala
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. ground hot red chili
Juice of 2 lemons
8 cloves garlic, crushed/paste
1 in. fresh ginger, grated
Sprigs mint for garnish
Sprigs cilantro for garnish
Slices of lemon for garnish
1. Rinse and dry chicken pieces. Score flesh of chicken with sharp knife.
2. In mixing bowl, place all ingredients except chicken. Using wire whisk, mix and incorporate well. If marinade is too thick, add touch of water to thin.
3. Add chicken and mix to coat.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place wire rack on cooking sheet pan in oven.
5. When temperature reaches 450°F, remove wire rack/cooking pan. Lower temperature to 350°F. Spray heated wire rack/cooking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Remove chicken from marinade; shake off excess marinade. Place marinated chicken directly on heated wire rack/cooking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken juice runs clear when pierced.
7. Garnish with mint, cilantro and lemon. Serve with steamed brown rice.
Recipe by Los Angeles Unified School District