Szechuan Salmon with Hoisin Lentils
The delicate flavor of salmon is enhanced by the spicy peppercorn crust in this Asian inspired presentation. A Hoisin vinaigrette flavors the lentils served alongside.
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tsp. tamari soy sauce
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
1⁄4 cup. olive oil
1⁄2 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper, as needed
1 cup Szechuan peppercorns
1⁄4 cup olive oil
8 6-oz. salmon fillets
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups French lentils, cooked and drained
8 scallions, chopped
Sautéed spinach, as needed
1. In a blender, combine vinaigrette ingredients and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
2. In a small sauté pan, heat peppercorns about 2-3 min. Coarsely grind and set aside.
3. Brush salmon with oil, season with salt and pepper, and press fillets into peppercorns.
4. In a large pan, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Cook salmon, pepper side down, about 3-4 min. Turn over and continue to cook until done.
5. Combine vinaigrette to warm lentils and mix in scallions. Serve with salmon and sautéed spinach if desired.