Sweet Potato Wontons
With a filling of curried sweet potatoes, these crunchy wontons provide a healthy dose of vegetables along with a craveable snack. At the casual Publik Draft House, these appear both on the late-night and appetizer menus to cover a range of snacking opportunities.
6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
4 tbsp. butter
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. curry powder
24 wonton skins
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup mango chutney
Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 min. Drain.
- In large sauté pan, melt butter. Add red pepper and onion; sauté until translucent. Stir in flour and curry power. Add sweet potatoes; mash and combine until well blended.
- Lay wonton skins out on table. Brush 2 edges of each square with egg wash. Place 1 tbsp. sweet potato mixture in center of wonton; fold into a triangle and seal with egg wash.
- Place filled wontons in single layer on baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- Per order, heat oil in deep fryer to 350 F. Deep fry wontons 2 min. until golden. Sprinkle with scallions and serve with chutney for dipping.