Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
These enchiladas are made to order at Skidmore using black beans, sweet potatoes, mild green chiles and corn tortillas, making it a great gluten-free option as well as a vegetarian option.
Green Chile Sauce:
1 cup Minor’s roasted mirepoix broth
1 tbsp. arrowroot starch, dissolved in cold water
1 cup roasted green chiles, hot or mild, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin or chili powder, hot or mild, to taste
16 oz. low-sodium black beans, rinsed, drained
4 cloves garlic, minced
Juice 1 fresh lime
2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, diced
1/2 cup roasted mild green chiles, chopped
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder, mild or spicy
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Vegetable oil, as needed
8 white or yellow corn tortillas
4 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Choose baking dish that would hold 8 rolled enchiladas. Make Green Chile Sauce by combining broth, dissolved arrowroot, green chiles, garlic and spices in saucepan and heating over medium-high heat. Bring to high simmer. Simmer until thickened. Taste test and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
2. For Enchilada Filling: Using mixing bowl, combine drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice. Toss to coat beans and set aside. In separate bowl, combine cooked sweet potatoes with chopped green chiles; add spices. Season with sea salt and pepper.
3. Pour about 1/4 cup of green chile sauce into bottom of baking dish.
4. To assemble enchiladas, grab skillet and heat dash of oil. Lightly cook corn tortillas to soften them, one at a time, as you stuff each one.
5. Lay first hot tortilla in sauced baking dish; wet it with sauce. Spoon 1/8 of sweet potato mixture down center. Top with 1/8 of black beans. Wrap and roll tortilla to end of baking dish. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
6. Top with rest of sauce. Top with sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 mins., until enchiladas are piping hot and sauce is bubbling around edges.
Recipe by James Rose, Skidmore College