At Molyvos, chef/partner Botsacos has created an approachable and refined destination for modern Greek cuisine. The menu is an appealing mix of Greek classics and dishes with a contemporary spin, both highlighting regional, seasonal ingredients. Here he highlights summer squash, zucchini and tomatoes—summer favorites—with his signature olive oil, plenty of garlic and fresh herbs.
1/3 cup New Greek Cuisine Olive Oil
2 cups julienne Spanish onion
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and chopped fine
1 cup diced peeled and seeded tomato
4 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
6 tbsp. water
6 fresh basil leaves, torn
1 sprig fresh oregano
Grilled country bread
- Into med. saucepan over med.-low heat, pour olive oil. Stir in onions with a pinch of salt and 4 tbsp. water. Cover and cook over low heat 30 to 40 min. until soft and sweet.
- Add garlic; stir to combine. Cover and cook 5 to 6 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in tomato and 2 tbsp. water; cover and cook 5 to 6 min. Add yellow squash and zucchini; stir to combine. Cover and cook slowly 8 to 10 min., stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly wilted but still al dente.
- Remove from heat; stir in torn basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with oregano sprig; accompany with grilled country bread.