Stuffed Quail with Foie-Gras & Black Truffle in Vol-au-Vent
A dish that was popularized in the movie "Babette's Feast," this game-filled pastry is elegant in both ingredients and presentation.
3 whole quail
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 oz. foie gras
3 oz. butter
15 shavings black truffle
1 pkg. (16 oz.) puff pastry
1 egg, beaten with water
1. Debone quail; remove heads. Cut through back and remove carcass, leaving leg bones attached. Butterfly quail by cutting through the back and laying flat, skin-side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Divide truffle slices and foie gras in middle of each bird. Fold both sides of quail over; secure with a toothpick at each end. Refrigerate 15 min.
3. Meanwhile, cut three 4-in. circles from puff pastry; brush with egg and place on sheet pan. Cut three 1-in. rings from remaining pastry. Place a ring on top of each circle; brush with egg. Bake in 400°F oven 10 min. or until light golden.
4. Fill a deep pan with 1⁄2 in. oil; place over med. heat. Brown birds, skin-side down, in hot oil 1 min. Remove; chill 15 min.
5. For service, place quail in pastry shells and top with a pat of butter. Bake 10 min.