Roasted tender, flavorful capon filled with a bread, celery and onion stuffing. Garnish finished dish with spiced crabapples and parsley.
1 capon (7-9 lb.)
Salt and pepper, to taste
3⁄4 cup (6 oz.) butter
2 1⁄2 cups diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
10 cups day-old bread cubes
1 egg, slightly beaten
1⁄4 cup hot water
Spiced crabapples and parsley, for garnish
1. Remove giblets; rinse capon and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Melt butter in sauté pan. Add celery and onion; sauté 3-4 min. Add poultry seasoning and 1⁄2 tsp. salt. Transfer to bowl; mix in bread, egg, and water.
3. Stuff capon with bread mixture. Roast breast-side up at 325°F, covered loosely with foil, about 20 min. per lb.
4. About 45 min. before end, remove foil and brush skin with melted butter. Roast until temperature registers 185°F.
5. For service, garnish with crabapples and parsley.