Steak Salad Au Poivre
Peppercorn crusted steak tops this salad. Fennel, arugala and a mustard dressing have plenty of flavor to stand up to the steak.
1 1⁄3 cup Pommery mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
1⁄2 cup dijon mustard
1⁄2 cup fresh tarragon, minced
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. lemon juice
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
Worcestershire, to taste
4 12-oz. center-cut boneless sirloin steaks
1⁄2 cup black peppercorns, coarsely ground
1⁄2 cup peanut oil
1 3⁄4 cup olive oil
4 fennel bulbs, julienned
4 vidalia onions, peeled, julienned
16 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 tbsp. garlic, minced
1⁄2 cup sherry vinegar
8 cups arugula
1. In a bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients. Season to taste and reserve.
2. Rub steak with peppercorns on both sides. In a large skillet, heat peanut oil and cook steak approx. 3-4 min. each side. Discard excess fat.
3. In same skillet, heat 3⁄4 cup olive oil. Add fennel, onion, shiitake mushrooms and garlic. Sauté briefly and season to taste. Add sherry vinegar and transfer mixture to a bowl. Season and reserve.
4. In a separate bowl, toss arugula with remaining olive oil and season to taste.
5. Slice steak and fan on a plate. Mound fennel mixture in center of plate and top with dressed arugula. Spoon mustard dressing around plate and serve.