This gourmet treat encloses a spicy steak tartare mix in a mashed potato ball. The fried potatoes are sliced open to reveal the tartare and are served with pickled onions and horseradish cream.
2 lb. beef tenderloin, chopped
2 tsp. dijon mustard
2 tsp. horseradish
2 tsp. chives, minced
2 scallions, minced
1 tbsp. capers
1 tsp. lemon zest
4 tbsp. cognac
1 lb. mashed potatoes
4 oz. bread crumbs
2 tbsp. chives, chopped
Peanut oil, as needed for frying
Arugula, optional for garnish
Pickled onions, optional for garnish
Horseradish cream, optional for garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine first 8 ingredients until thoroughly mixed; season. Form into 4-oz. balls and reserve.
2. In a separate bowl, combine mashed potatoes, eggs, bread crumbs and chives; season to taste.
3. Divide potatoes into 8 equal-sized balls. Roll out each ball to 1⁄8 in. thick. Place a tartare ball in the center of each and fold potatoes around meat to cover.
4. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat enough peanut oil to cover balls. Gently place balls in oil and deep-fry until golden brown. Remove balls with a slotted spoon and drain.
5. Cut balls in half and garnish with arugula, pickled onions and horseradish cream, if desired.