Spicy Soo Foo with Portobellos & Spinach
Soo Foo is a product made of a blend of nine ingredients including long grain brown rice, brown lentils, wheatberries, oats, barley, black lentils, rye berries, green lentils and buckwheat. The product is a great option for vegan dishes and helps the health factor of this dish, which also features sun-dried tomatoes, potobello mushrooms and baby spinach.
4 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
1/4 cup oil blend: 20% olive oil, 80% canola
2 lbs. Soo Foo blend (brown rice, grains and lentils)
11/4 oz. garlic cloves, minced
1/2 oz. Serrano chili pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp. red crushed pepper
12 oz. portobello mushrooms, 3/16-in. sliced
41/4 oz. baby spinach
1/4 cup sweet basil, julienned
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
1. Soak the sundried tomatoes in 1 cup hot water. In large sauté pan, heat oil for 1 min.
2. Add sundried tomatoes and ½ soaking liquid; cook for 3 to 4 mins. to extract
flavor and color. Add garlic, serranos and red pepper and stir quickly to avoid burning garlic.
3. Add sliced mushrooms and spinach.
4. Pour cooked soo foo into pan with sundried tomatoes and combine over medium heat. Stir to coat soo foo well.
5. Add basil leaves, salt and pepper and serve grated Parmesan on side.
Recipe by Dwight Collins, University of California-Santa Cruz