Spicy Beef Stew from the Bayou
This beef stew has an extra kick of spice to beat the winter chill in just a few bites.
10 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
3 tbsp. kosher salt
5 tsp. ground black pepper
2 cups Crystal Hot Sauce
6 oz. all-purpose flour
1 cup rice bran oil or high-quality cooking oil
1 lb. yellow onion, diced
1 lb. carrot, cut into ¼-in. coins
1 lb. celery, diced
1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
6 whole bay leaves
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
10 cups beef broth
2 ½ lb. diced tomato in juice
4 lb. red potato, diced
1 lb. frozen cut okra
2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
½ lb. green onion, sliced
- Combine beef, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Toss seasoned meat in flour.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown on all sides in single layer, working in batches if needed.
- Combine beef with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves and Worcestershire. Sauté until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add beef broth and tomatoes and simmer until beef begins to be tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, okra and cayenne and simmer until beef is completely tender.
- Add green onion and season to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes. Hold for service.