Spiced Salmon over Curried Pink Lentils
Garam masala-rubbed salmon is seared, then baked. Serve it laid on a bed of pink lentils with a curry vinaigrette.
1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. garlic, minced
Olive oil, as needed
1 yellow onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 bay leaf
2 cups red lentils
4 cups stock
8 6-oz. salmon fillets
3 tbsp. garam masala
2 lb. green beans, trimmed
3 tbsp. ginger, julienned
1. For vinaigrette: In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, curry powder and garlic until well blended. While whisking, slowly add 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil. Season to taste.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, pepper and bay leaf in oil until tender. Add lentils and stock; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer approximately 20 minutes. Add reserved curry vinaigrette to taste. Adjust seasonings and keep warm.
3. Season salmon and rub with garam masala. In a skillet over high heat, sear fish in hot oil until browned; finish in a hot oven.
4. Meanwhile, steam or blanch green beans until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately toss with ginger.
5. Serve salmon over lentils with gingered green beans on the side.