Spiced Fresh Tomato Pudding
This old fashioned tomato pudding is made with crushed tomatoes, bread cubes, and other seasonings and ingredients.
1 tbsp. butter, for greasing
6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 4 lb.)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
1⁄2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups cubed (1-in.) peasant or Italian bread
1⁄4 cup sugar
Sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8- x 8- x 2-in. pan with 1 tbsp. of the butter.
2. In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, the 1 cup of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and the remaining 3 tbsp. of butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 min.
3. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract and bread cubes.
4. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg. Stir in 1⁄2 cup bread mixture. Gradually return
egg-coated bread mixture to the saucepan, gently stirring.
5. Spoon bread mixture into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar. Bake until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 min.
6. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.