Spanish Tortilla with Jicama Relish
This Spanish baked egg and potato dish makes a lovely presentation when cut in squares. The tangy and crunchy jicama relish adds great flavor and texture.
6 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
1⁄2 cup olive oil
2 large potatoes (about 1 lb.), peeled and sliced into
1⁄8-in. thick rounds
1 large onion, diced
1-2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and sliced
Chopped cilantro or parsley
1 1⁄2 cups diced, peeled jicama
1 cup diced, peeled orange
1⁄2 cup diced red onion
Lime juice, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs with salt and pepper until frothy; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy, ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add potatoes and coat well with oil; sauté 10 min. until just starting to brown lightly.
3. Add onion; sauté 5 min. until golden. Stir in peppers and pour in egg mixture; reduce heat to moderate. Cook 2-3 min., stirring the cooked egg portion from sides of skillet and shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. (Egg mixture should still be runny.)
4. Place skillet in oven. Bake eggs 15-20 min. until set and no longer wet on top. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
5. Meanwhile, combine jicama, orange, and red onion in small bowl. Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice to taste. Cut tortilla into squares and serve with a side of jicama relish.