Southwestern Caramelized Onion Sauce
Made with Pace® Chunky Salsa, brown sugar and roasted garlic, this sweet, savory sauce amps up any dish. Serve it over chicken enchiladas with melted cheese and sour cream.
30 each Yellow onions, sliced
1 3/4 cups Olive oil
1 1/2 cups Garlic, roasted
2 1/2 cups Light brown sugar
138 oz. Pace® Chunky Salsa — Mild
1 gal. + 1 qt. Swanson® Chicken Broth
- Heat olive oil and onions in a stockpot over medium-low heat. Cover and sweat onions for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are translucent, remove lid and turn heat up to medium for 2 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic and brown sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in Pace® Chunky Salsa and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Swanson® Chicken Broth and blend sauce until smooth. Serve hot.
Amp up the flavor with fresh herbs like thyme, sage or dill.
Great with chicken breast, pork, and beef. Try it as a dip, tossed with pasta, or as a binder for casseroles.