Southwestern Breakfast Crepes with Hass Avocado Lime Hollandaise
Crepes are always a crowd pleaser for breakfast but these bring something different to the table with a lime hollandaise and Hass avocados adding a Latin twist to the French favorite.
2 Mexican Hass avocados
1 tbsp. sour cream
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper sauce
2 plum tomatos
8 large eggs
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 tsp. + 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
6 oz. chicken breast, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2/3 cup colby-Jack cheese, shredded
8 10-in. crêpe sheets
2 tbsp. oil-cured black olives, pitted, sliced
4 cilantro sprigs
1. Peel, seed and quarter avocados. Cut one avocado into 16 slices. Cover tightly and set aside.
2. Coarsely chop 1/4 of remaining avocado and place pieces in blender with sour cream and hot red pepper sauce. Cut remaining 3/4 avocado into 1/2-in. pieces; cover tightly and set aside.
3. Slice 1 tomato into 16 slices; cut remaining tomato into 1/2-in. pieces and set both aside. Separate 2 eggs; place yolks in top of double boiler and whites in small bowl. Add remaining whole eggs to whites and whisk to combine.
4. Whisk lime juice into yolks and set over simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture steams and begins to thicken; transfer immediately to blender with avocado mixture and blend until smooth. With motor running, very gradually add melted butter. Fold in 1 tsp. of cilantro and 1/8 tsp. salt; transfer mixture to squirt bottle or small bowl. Set in pan of warm—not hot—water until ready to use.
5. Heat oil in 10-in. skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until translucent, about 3 mins. Add garlic and sauté 1 min. more. Stir in chicken, chili powder, cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper; cook and stir until hot. Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are firm, about 4 mins.
6. Remove from heat and fold in cheese, reserved avocado, tomato pieces and remaining cilantro. Spread out crêpes on work surface; divide scrambled egg mixture onto crêpes making a 6-in. long log. One at a time, fold smaller ends of crêpe over filling, then roll up. Place 2 crêpes on each of 4 plates to make an X. Arrange reserved avocado slice and tomato slice between each spoke of the X. Divide olives into center and garnish with cilantro sprig. Drizzle hollandaise over all.
Recipe by Avocados From Mexico