Sonoran Breakfast Empanadas
These breakfast empanadas feature chorizo sausage, Idaho potatoes, green chili peppers and cheddar cheese.
2 lbs. chorizo sausage
16 oz. whole eggs with citric acid
2 sprays Pam cooking spray
1 lb. Idaho potatoes, pre-peeled, fresh, shredded
8 oz. green chili peppers, diced, drained
12 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
4 puff pastry sheets, frozen
3 oz. egg wash
1. Cook chorizo thoroughly and drain liquid entirely from sausage. Chill to 40°F.
2. Scramble eggs on nonstick cooking surface and cook thoroughly. Remove eggs and chill to 40°F.
3. In mixing bowl, add chilled sausage and eggs. Add shredded potatoes, diced green chilies and cheddar cheese.
4. Defrost puff pastry sheets. Cut each puff pastry sheet into 15 equal squares.
5. Fill each square with egg filling. Fold over one half of puff pastry to form triangle.
6. Seal empanada using fork. Brush each empanada with egg wash and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 375°F until product is golden brown.
Recipe by Idaho Potato Commission