A classic Caesar salad gets a California twist with fresh avocados, red onion and shaved Romano cheese.
Extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil as needed
1 head romaine, rinsed, bottom removed, leaves cleaned
1 large fresh California avocado, peeled, pitted, cut into quarters
2 slices red onion, 1⁄4-in. thick
1⁄2 cup shaved Romano cheese
1 cup fresh croutons, toasted
4 oz. Caesar salad dressing
4 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat grill to medium-high and brush grill grate with oil.
2. Brush romaine leaves lightly with oil, then place on grill, turning once. Remove when leaves have grill marks. Add avocado pieces and onion slices to grill for about 2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Do not turn. Remove from grill.
3. Tear or cut romaine leaves into bite-size pieces and divide onto 4 plates. Separate grilled onion slices into rings. Divide onion rings among 4 plates. Add quarter avocado to each plate.
4. Top each salad with 2 tablespoons of shaved Romano cheese, ¼ cup of fresh croutons and light drizzle of Caesar dressing.
5. Drizzle each plate with 1 teaspoon of white balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, WVa.