Smoked Turkey Chowder
A satisfying soup filled with plenty of smoked turkey and vegetables. A fragrant bowl of this chowder is nicely garnished with a dollop of sour cream.
15 lb. smoked turkey drumsticks
4 1⁄2 gal. water
3 celery ribs
1 cup diced onion
1⁄4 bunch parsley
2 tbsp. cumin seeds
3 bay leaves
2 tbsp. black peppercorns
3 tbsp. salt
5 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1⁄2 qt. onions, peeled and diced
2 lb. poblano peppers, seeded and diced
5 lb. frozen red potatoes, diced
3 qt. Roma tomatoes, diced
3 qt. corn niblets
1 can (#10) black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups salsa verde
3⁄4 cup chicken base
1⁄4 cup Cajun seasoning
2 tbsp. liquid smoke
3 cups barbecue sauce
1 lb. unsalted butter
1⁄3 cup minced garlic
1 qt. all-purpose flour
Sour cream and scallions, for garnish
1. Place first 10 ingredients (turkey through salt) in large soup kettle and bring to boil.
2. Skim fat, lower heat; cover and simmer 1 hr. Strain through china cap, reserving both stock and drumsticks; discard vegetables and herbs. Return stock to kettle.
3. Remove meat from drumsticks and dice; reserve.
4. Bring turkey stock to a boil. Add sweet potatoes, onions, and poblanos. Return to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 7 min.
5. Stir in red potatoes and next 8 ingredients (through barbecue sauce); add reserved turkey and return to simmer.
6. Sauté butter and garlic 2 min., until soft but not brown. Stir in flour and continue to cook 3 min. to make roux. Whisk roux into soup and cook over low heat for 2-3 min.
7. Serve garnished with sour cream and sliced scallions.