Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese
This version of classic mac and cheese features smoky gouda, Parmesan, green onions, spinach and garlic.
10 lbs. small elbow macaroni
2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
3⁄4 lb. sweet butter
1 lb. green onions, sliced thin
2 oz. garlic, minced
11⁄2 lbs. all-purpose flour
3 gal. non-fat organic milk
2 oz. kosher salt
Coarse ground black pepper to taste
2 lbs. Holland smoked gouda cheese, grated
2 lbs. Parmesan cheese, grated
10 lbs. frozen spinach, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. Place bread in food processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs are formed.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 1 min.
Add flour and cook for 1 min., stirring constantly.
4. Gradually whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Whisk constantly until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick, about 2 mins. Add cheeses and stir until melted; do not boil.
5. Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into hotel pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake in preheated oven until bubbly.
Recipe by University of California, Berkeley