Seared Tuna Burgers with California Avocado
Spicy partners with sour in the mayo that tops these zesty made-from-scratch tuna burgers. The sour comes from yuzu and the spicy, from the Japanese seasoning known as shichimi togarashi. (Togarishi is the Japanese word for chilies.) Pickled red onions add another sour note and creamy avocado slices, a textural and mellow counterpoint.
Tuna Burger Patties:
1 lb. sushi-quality tuna, coarsely ground
1 tbsp. red jalapeño or Fresno chile, minced
1 tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp. green onion (tops only), minced
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. fresh lime zest, minced
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
Spicy Yuzu Mayo
4 oz. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. yuzu citron juice
¾ tsp. shichimi togarashi
Sea salt, to taste
2 tbsp. clarified soy margarine (or clarified butter), divided
1 large California avocado, sliced
2 oz. daikon sprouts
4 shiso leaves
8 pickled red onion slices
4 hamburger buns
1. Prepare Tuna Burger Patties: Place all ingredients except panko in a chilled mixing bowl; combine well with clean hands. Add enough panko to bind the mixture. Form mixture into four 4-oz. patties, about ¾-in. thick. Chill at least 30 min.
2. Meanwhile, prepare Spicy Yuzu Mayo. Combine mayonnaise, yuzu, shichimi togarashi and salt in bowl; whisk well to combine. (Will keep for up to one week in the refrigerator.)
3. To assemble: Remove patties from refrigerator and pat dry with paper towels. In heavy cast-iron or non-stick skillet over high heat, melt 1 tbsp. clarified margarine or butter. When hot, add tuna patties. Sear patties about 1 min. per side for rare. Remove patties to paper towel-lined plate; reserve.
4. Meanwhile, split burger buns, brush with remaining margarine or butter and toast in a skillet, cut-side down, until golden brown.
5. For service, spread a few tsp. Spicy Yuzu Mayo on cut side of each bun top and bottom. Place one shiso leaf on each bottom bun; top with seared tuna patties. Top each tuna patty with one-fourth the sliced avocado, pickled red onion slices, and ¼ oz. daikon sprouts. Finish with top half of bun. Serve immediately, sliced in half, if desired.