A classic dish, paella is infused with tantalizing flavor and aroma. Seafood and sausage combine with rice in a satisfying and hearty dish.
24 mussels, scrubbed
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails intact
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄2 lb. chorizo, sliced
1 1⁄2 cups rice
3 1⁄2 cups hot stock (fish or chicken)
6-8 threads saffron
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Salt, to taste
2 tsp. Spanish paprika
1⁄2 lb. asparagus, cut into
6 cooked artichoke hearts, halved
1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper strips
1. Steam mussels until shells open; drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a paella pan or wide, large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 2 min. until opaque. Remove shrimp and set aside.
3. Add onion and garlic to oil in skillet; sauté 3 min. until golden. Add chorizo and sauté 2 min. more. Stir in rice and coat well with oil; sauté 1 min.
4. Stir saffron threads into stock to dissolve; add stock with tomatoes, salt, and paprika to rice mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 20 min.
5. Add asparagus on top of rice; cover and cook 5 min. Arrange mussels, shrimp, artichoke hearts, and roasted red pepper on rice; cover and cook until all ingredients are heated through, stock is absorbed, and rice is tender. Uncover and let stand 5 min. off the heat before serving.